Join us down on Leasowe Bay each week and enjoy the natural benefits of Chilly Dipping! There is nothing like a dip in the chilly sea to feel invigorated and you will reap the health benefits of cold water whilst having fun!
- Chilly Dipping gives you an amazing, instant natural high – it has been shown that being in cold water activates the release of feel-good chemicals in our brain, Dopamine and Endorphins which are often called the ‘happy hormones’.
- Chilly Dipping is great for your mental health and helps you fight stress. reducing stress both physically and mentally as you condition your body to adapt to the cold water
- If you can manage to have a swim in the cold water, it can help you get fit, burns calories, and could help with weight loss
- Improves circulation -Cold water swimming certainly gets the blood pumping in your body and for your body to keep itself warm it forces blood to the surface of your body and in doing so flushes your veins, arteries, and capillaries, and improves circulation over time
- Boost the immune system- some small studies on the effects on cold water on the immune system have shown that cold water may help to boost white blood cell count
- Can help with pain relief and recovery There is growing evidence that that a cold-water plunge may offer an alternative to strong painkillers and physiotherapy to relive severe pain. Exposure to cold water can make the blood vessels constrict, which can reduce swelling and oedema that causes pain. Cold water can also slow down the speed at which nerve signals conduct impulses, which reduces the rate at which nerves transmit pain signals to the brain, thus lowering a person’s perception of pain.
- Connects you to nature and improves your well-being. When you go Chilly Dipping in the cold sea you are connected to nature and the elements, completely in the moment and switched off from everything else.
- It helps you make new friends- it’s a great way of socialising and meeting like-minded people
New! Me Again Book Club
Love books? Like to talk about them?
If you have answered yes to the above then our Book Club would be perfect for you !
And what’s more, there are several other reasons why you should join it:
- You’ll meet interesting people – and gain different takes on the book at hand.
- You will read things you otherwise would not read- our book choices have been suggested and provided by our reading mentor at Wirral Libraries and will probably include some that may differ to your taste – but you may find you will love them and relish the chance to have read them!
- Free food and drink- did we mention that cheese and wine might be involved?
- Its fun to chat- all book clubs entail some chat no matter how serious the book discussion may become, and that’s great. Its a wonderful way to meet new friends.
To be held on the second Monday evening of each month,
7.45 pm -9pm.
Our Book Club starts on the 21 June 2021 and there are limited places due to Covid 19 Restrictions. If you wish to join please call Becky on 0151 342 5903 as soon as possible so that your first book can be allocated to you.
We have put together some lovely local walks around the area of Brimstage for you to enjoy with other ladies of the Me Again Community. Not only will you get lots of fresh air, but you will also have great fun and benefit in the following ways:
- A good walk can do wonders for your mental health- It improves self-perception and self-esteem, mood and sleep quality, and it reduces stress, anxiety and fatigue. Physically active people have up to a 30% reduced risk of becoming depressed and staying active helps those who are depressed recover.
- Physical benefits- it can help you feel fitter and feel in control of your weight, your body image and
- Walking in a group is a great way to stay motivated to do physical activity
- Great for your social life- make friends, encourage each other, and develop a network of support
- Get to know your local area better – we are privileged to live in an exceptionally beautiful and diverse area, and we have done all the work in planning great walks
Did you know that adjacent to our Health and Wellness Centre in Brimstage Courtyard there is an established orchard and garden?
Our neighbour, The Mouse at Brimstage, kindly donated an area of their garden to us and we have cultivated an organic garden for the use of Me Again clients. It is a lovely oasis of peace and calm – and we would love you to make good use of it!
Join the Me Again ‘Grow Your Own’ community and grow organic vegetables, enjoy good company and take in lots of fresh air in our Me Again Gaia ( meaning earth/nature) Garden .
This is a really fun way to learn how to cultivate an organic garden and there may also be the opportunity to keep some of the vegetables when they are ready to eat!
An organic garden is free from toxic chemicals, which means that the produce is too. Your vegetables will not only taste good, but organic produce has also been shown to have a higher vitamin and mineral content than produce grown with the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
The benefits of a sustained and active interest in gardening include:
- Better physical health through exercise and learning how to use or strengthen muscles to improve mobility
- Improved mental health through a sense of purpose and achievement
- The opportunity to connect with others – reducing feelings of isolation or exclusion
- Acquiring new skills
- Just feeling better for being in the fresh air, in touch with nature and in the ‘great outdoors’
If you would like to get involved or just use the garden for relaxation, please first register with reception at the Me Again Hub or call reception 0151 342 5903.
join us Online!
Our very popular Coffee Mornings are held on the first Friday of every month, 10 am-12 noon. Please note that these are held on Zoom until the COVID-19 regulations allow us to meet again in our Health and Wellness Centre at Brimstage, Wirral. Our Coffee Mornings are a great opportunity to socialize with women of all ages who share your experience of a cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment. We aim to help you to relax, make new friends and enjoy a bit of time out.
It does not matter how long ago you had your diagnosis – you will be most welcome
We have a different speaker or activity every month and time for chat- there is no charge and refreshments are free – do join us for a drink and a cake, friendship and fun!